I Love Library Databases

This space is for me to participate in PLCMC's Learning 2.0 program.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Context and Continuity

The PLCMC Learning 2.0 experience has been good. I think I caught some of the first glimps of it in the excitement of Computers in Libraries earlier this year in Washington D.C.

I hope Learning 2.0 does not stop with the completion of the 23 Things. I would like to see one new discovery activity every week on an on-going basis, at least for the next 6 months or so. Sure, other incentives would be nice, but it could be something like a chance at a few extra hours of vacation, or some free rentals. A little goes a long way in enticing people to do something as interesting as Learning 2.0.

However, I have been challenged thinking about how some of the Web 2.0 technologies could be made meaningful or relevant to library patrons, unless they specifically asked staff, "How do I get an RSS aggregator?" or "How do I set up a blog?" The patrons who want these services probably have the tech-savvy to go get them.

For me, I really liked the concept of tagging, and the websites that tagged concept like Flickr, YouTube, and Library Thing made a lot of sense to me. On the other hand, I am not a devoted reader of blogs, yet, but who knows what the future will hold.

1 Comments:

Blogger HeleneB said...

Lydia, Congrats on making to the 23rd Thing!! I truly have loved reading your blog and appreciate your insights. As far as continuing this type of learning, I'm right there with you. However I don't think I'm up for 6 months more of creating this alone :) Perhaps there is group/guest blogging option we should explore. And if you're up for challenge, I'd love to tap your talents. :)

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home