I Love Library Databases

This space is for me to participate in PLCMC's Learning 2.0 program.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Library 2.0 Perspectives: How about "the Long Tail"?

I read many of the OCLC NextSpace online articles shortly after I attended the "Computers in Libraries" conference in Washington D.C. last March, so re-reading these perspectives was just a refresher for me. I was already aware of Rick Anderson's and Wendy Schultz's work. I heard Dr. Schultz speak at that conferece.

The one article I read recently that I agreed with strongly had to do with "harnessing the long-tail". For instance, Netflix and Amazon have captured "the Long Tail" by providing access to specialized titles, other than just bestsellers. The proportion of consumers who want specialized individual titles is greater than the proportion of those that want a limited pool of bestsellers.

With respect to the Web, "harnessing the 'long tail' refers to the content on the seemingly infinite number of small sites that make up the web vs. so-called 'important' sites.

I think Google Books 'harnesses the long tail' by providing keyword searchable full text to many great books. Granted, just a content sample is typically provided, and interlibrary loan might come into play to actually see the entire book, but my awareness of what books are even available that might interest me has grown exponentially.

Now, here at Main, I call our Nonfiction collection "the Long Tail." While I agree that our print collection's content should be accurate, and the condition of our collection needs to remain good, I baulk at the idea that books should be weeded because they do not circulate enough.

I understand the need to innovate and rethink library services, but I hope no one throws out the baby with the bathwater!

1 Comments:

Blogger HeleneB said...

I just finished redaing Chris Anderson's book The Long Tail too! It was definitely an interesting read - highly recommended!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home