I Love Library Databases

This space is for me to participate in PLCMC's Learning 2.0 program.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Technorati vs. Bloglines

Technorati and Bloglines seem to me to be very similar products. Technorati's Favorites feature probably makes Bloglines redundant. If you don't care about how your personal blog sits in relationship to other blogs, the Bloglines aggregator is probably adequate. Also, I think a blog has to be "claimed" by a user in Technorati to take full advantage of Technorati's searching and tagging features.

So I "claimed" my blog from my 2002 India trip in Technorati, because I feel that the content there is in better shape than the content I am creating here in the PLCMC Learning 2.0 experiment. I felt tagging that blog with "Yoga" and "Meditation," as well as other tags to specific places I traveled, was more meaningful to me.

Technorati's three search features are pretty effective:
1) "in blog posts" is like keyword searching in full text content. The broadest search.
2) "in tags" is like Subject Heading searching in databases. The most useful search.
3) "in blog directory" is like choosing a topical database. The most narrow/specific search.

There seems to be so many aspects in Technorati that I have trouble getting my mind completely around what it can and cannot do. Maybe once I get caught up on Learning 2.0, I can go back to Technorati.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home