I Love Library Databases

This space is for me to participate in PLCMC's Learning 2.0 program.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Limitations of Flickr

Yes, Flickr is a cool photo sharing/social networking tool. However, I was a bit startled to figure out some major limitations pretty quickly:

1) "Upload limit is measured in bandwidth, or "throughput", not actual storage space." You get 20MB per MONTH. What this means to me is that I have to downsize my pictures before uploading them. I uploaded 6 pictures that were straight out of the camera, and used 27% of my space for the month.

2) You are limited to 3 photo sets in the free account. I don't know about you, but I take a lot of photos, and I like to organize them. What this means to me is that I will not really be able to use Flickr unless I purchase a premium account.

3) Flickr is now a Yahoo product, so it seems. However, what I have traditionally used, Yahoo Photos, remains available, but Yahoo is talking about a major upgrade, and I have to wonder if the Flickr model is a part of that upgrade. Stay tuned.

I will probably finish uploading some general photos to my Flickr account, and I will post them here.

I am not a Flickr convert, though...

--Lydia

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Lydia
the 3 set limit is a bummer, but I've used tags to group photos and to share a collection of photos that way (by sending a URL to friends that goes to all the photos with a particular tag eg. "dinnerpartyjune" etc
lisa

7:32 PM  
Blogger Lydia said...

Thanks Lisa! Good suggestion!

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home